Q: What are Role Based Rosters and how do I set up a Role Based Roster for a class?
A: The Role Based Roster tool was designed to allow easy creation of community classes by letting you generate a class roster that is automatically populated with students based on their Account Type, Organization, or Grade Level. As new users are added to your Learning domain they will also be added to any Role Based Roster Classes they meet the criteria for.
Please note that certain features, such as the Gradebook, Attendance, the Inbox, Badges, and the ability to Email Roster are not available for Role Based Roster classes.
Here are a few examples of when you might want to use a Role Based Roster class:
- Senior Project class for all the Senior students at a specified High School
- Professional Development class for all Teachers at an Elementary School
- School-wide informational class for all Students & Parents
Setting up a Role Based Roster class is easy, here's what you can do:
- Log on as a Domain Administrator and browse to the Classes tab.
- Click on the Add Class button.
- Choose Role Based Roster and click Next.
- Choose a Teacher, and enter class information. Click on Create to create the new class.
- In the Role Based Roster window, choose the criteria for your class. If necessary, click the Add Additional Rule button to define more than one criteria. When you are finished, click Save to automatically start generating your roster. NOTE: if you are adding a co-teacher, DO NOT ADD RULES until after you add your co-teacher.