Released the 21st of May 2010
Video Encoding. Just like your favorite web video services like YouTube, TeacherTube and Vimeo, Haiku LMS now encodes your videos automatically in a universal, web-friendly format (h.264) when you upload them via a Video Block.
Improved Video and Audio Playback
Also, when you upload files to a video or audio block, Haiku LMS will play them back using our new, attractive, customized player (which includes a timer for your video/audio labs). That means you can play video directly on the page rather than opening another application like QuickTime. Thanks to Judd Danby at Lafayette School District for encouraging us to provide this new feature.
HTML in Assessment Questions
Substance affects style and style, substance. With the ability to include HTML in Assessment multiple choice and matching options educators can easily add images, better write math formulas, format text and so on.
When you add inline images to a text block, now you add and style an image caption. Many thanks for Beth Harris at The Museum of Modern Art and David Huston at Laurel School for this suggestion.
Blackboard Common Cartridge Imports
We have continued to improve the capabilities of our Common Cartridge (IMS) import tool. We now support many features of Blackboard exports which do not match the Common Cartridge specification.
- Haiku LMS now supports importing questions with images from ExamView and Blackboard,
- Walkthrough, "Balloon" help for new users, is now expanded to include the Portal and Shadowing.
- Image Processing now happens in the background, so users don't need to wait around while images are resized.
- Softchalk modules (and other embedded HTML sites) that are included in Common Cartridge packages are now imported into Haiku as a MiniSite. Thanks to Robert Craven at Saddleback Valley USD for this suggestion.
- After a Common Cartridge import, the list of items that failed to import is now downloadable. With his second contribution to this release, thanks again to Robert Craven at Saddleback Valley USD.
- Previewing during Assessment Question import no longer causes an error.
- Assessment Questions no longer have a issue when the user provides non-numberic values in the weight.
- Various minor fixes.